Let’s Get Physical
As a country, we love nothing better than basking in the sun on our annual holiday, relaxing on a sunlounger and doing nothing but indulging in great food and drinks. Some of us come home relaxed but a few pounds heavier and not necessarily feeling great about ourselves.
With 6 out of 10 Bournemouth & Poole adults now obese, according to Cancer Research UK, maybe it’s time to rethink how you enjoy your time on holiday. Yes, you still need to relax, unwind and recharge but why not incorporate some daily exercises into your schedule to keep your heart and body healthy. Aim for an intense 20 minutes of exercise a minimum of 3-4 times a week with a 5 minute warm up and then increase your heart rate for 15 minutes followed by a stretch. Exercise can be fun and social as you can see from the following:
- Go for a daily power walk before breakfast. Include some hills or steps and you’ll feel great afterwards. You’ll find that by walking around an area you’ll see so much more of the landscape and environment you’re staying in. Try and choose a different route every time you go out and slightly increase your walking time each session
- Take a swim in the pool or sea and set yourself a challenge of a certain number of lengths or strokes which you can aim to increase on a daily basis.
- Join in the hotel fitness activities if your accommodation provides them. Fitness is always more fun when you share it with other people. Many hotels offer activities such as volleyball, water polo, aqua aerobics, yoga, gym etc.
- Watersports are a really enjoyable way to keep cool during your holiday and you’ll burn plenty of energy through adrenalin!
- Like to workout in private? Download a couple of bodyweight workouts on your phone before you go and do them in the comfort and privacy of your hotel room.
Most importantly of all make sure you don’t consume more calories than you are burning off – be mindful when you eat and question whether you’re actually hungry. Set yourself some health and fitness holiday challenges before you go and most importantly of all have fun!